POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Nurbs ? : Re: Nurbs ? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 21:23:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nurbs ?
From: Rune
Date: 1 Jun 2001 20:29:31
Message: <3b18336b@news.povray.org>
Ok, so nurbs are much more powerful than bicubic patches.

Now, I don't understand all those formulas I've been shown, so I still have
many questions.

Bicubic patches always have 4 corners. Can nurbs have 3 or 5 corners?

If you want smooth results you can only match up bicubic patches joining the
corners of 4 bicubic patches at a time. Because of that they can only be
used for objects with very simple topology. I presume any number of nurbs
can be joined up smoothly (typically 3, 4 or 5) ...?

Would it be possible to implement nurbs in POV-Ray? Would it be reasonable?
If so, what would a possible syntax look like?

The reason I'm interested in these nurbs is that I find bicubic patches too
limiting for what I want to do. IMHO POV-Ray would really benefit from such
flexible surfaces that nurbs are. Besides, it seems they're the most common
way of generating surfaces in the CG industry, besides basic polygons...

The above are just my thoughts. I really don't know anything about the
subject...

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated May 10)